Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What The Hell Is This All About?

I hate running. I’m not kidding, I really hate running. It makes my legs itch. My face turns bright red and I feel like I’m going to pass out. I have never considered myself a runner, or even a big athlete. I was a cheerleader for 8 years but I was the one throwing girls in the air, (not a big need for running). I also played softball in high school, but since I was a crappy hitter the most I ever had to run was 90 feet. Even when I got to college I thought the occasional trip to the gym was helping me fend off those nasty freshmen 15 (Didn’t work at all!) I was the one in middle school who barely passed the gym tests and lied about going around the track four times to run a mile, doesn’t help that I was also a chubby kid. Now that I’m a bit older I have gotten comfortable with the fact that I’m not shaped like most girls, but when I was younger body image was a big low point for me.  I was always under the impression that if I wanted to look good I had to diet and be hungry all the time.  It also doesn’t help that I was always comparing myself to the teeny tiny cheerleaders I worked with.  Every woman has body image issues, but I think its society’s fault in general. Pop singers are size 0, Barbie dolls are the picture of perfection with an unattainable plastic body, and we alter ourselves with surgeries to “pretty”.  So I have given up on using society’s standards and have started setting my own for how I should look.  More importantly I am working on how I feel not only what my body looks like. Maybe I’ll change the way some people think, maybe I can be a role model for my family.  

And maybe one day I might actually like running.

No comments:

Post a Comment